Wednesday, June 17, 2009

No pictures today, sorry

Hey everyone! So as always, this past week has been a little crazy. Unfortunately a kid in the orphanage we were doing art and english classes at got swine flu, so the place shut down for a week. Then the next day we found out that they decided to shut down all of the schools in the entire country for 16 days, which has dramatically affected our projects. So, in addition to trying to accomodate the new volunteers we have all been trying to rearrange our schedules, start new projects, and hop on other people´s projects in order to get our hours of work in each week.

Like Jen already described, our house is totally insane. It´s fun having all the new energy and ideas of the new volunteers, but it´s not so fun dealing with the many issues that come with living in a house of 16 girls and 2 guys.

As far as my projects go, I think I´m going to start teaching business classes. Maybe. On Friday me and Vic have to give a presentation to an organization we found yesterday and if they like us, they´ll work with HELP. If we completely butcher it (as I am very likely to do) then we´re cut and they won´t work with HELP again. So we´ll see how that goes.

I decided to start a list of things I will miss about Guatemala, that perhaps I will share on here. Here´s what I got right now:

1. Chocobananos (frozen bananas dipped in chocolate and peanuts...you should try it, they´re delicious!)
2. Chocofresas
3. Burritos at Elmer´s
4. 3 Mangoes for 5 quetz from Pablo (5 quetz=about 60 cents)
5. Squishing 13 people into the back of a truck and driving to villages at the top of mountains in the middle of nowhere on the bumpiest roads anyone could imagine
6. The crazy bum that lives in Chimal and laughs really loudly and creepily every time we walk by
7. Working with the indigenous women
8. Lencho´s!
9. Hearing ´80´s music that wasn´t even popular in the 80´s everywhere
10. Mimo cookies and empanadas!

Anyway, that´s all I´ve got for now. I love this place! Next time I´ll try to remember the cardreader so I can post pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment