Friday, September 3, 2010

Live from the Holy Land

I'm here! After two hours of sleep, a minor panic attack, 24 hours of nearly sleepless travel, and a few more hours soaking in the city, I made it! The jet lag has almost worn off, but I think that the three hour accidental nap I had yesterday didn't help much, nor does the virus I contracted sometime in the last 24 hours. The night before last I fell asleep around 11, but my roommate didn't come in until around 1:30. For some reason when she came in I woke up and thought it was time to get ready, so I hopped in the shower and didn't figure out it was only 2 until I was ready for the day. It was funny, in a not very funny kind of way.

Jerusalem is wonderful. Right now it's Ramadan, which is really cool. Actually it might have ended last night. Anyway, for the last few nights the call to prayer has been extra cool, and extra loud at 4:30 in the morning. When we first got here nothing really seemed real and I felt bad that I didn't feel as thrilled to be here as I expected, but as soon as the call to prayer sounded I got really excited to be here. We've only gone into the city a few times. I'm really excited to spend more time there. Today a bunch of us walked to Gethsemane. Isn't it cool that I can do that? Yeah, I thought so too.

Anyway, we're not really supposed to upload pictures here because the internet is slow, but I'll include two just to prove that I'm here. The first is a picture of my first night's sunset over the city, taken from the Jerusalem Center, and the second is of our first day of school.



No comments:

Post a Comment