Monday, September 13, 2010

Ode to Food

Instead of posting about the educational and uplifting activities I have been doing this week, I thought it important to create a dedicatory post to food. For those who know me well, it will be no surprise that I have found a few favorite treats in Jerusalem. Here are a few of my favorite and not-so-favorite ones.

Freshly squeezed pomegranate juice.

I know it sounds good, but don't be fooled. I don't plan on buying it again.


Hummus

Our friend Shabon ordered us some free, homemade hummus yesterday with warm, fresh, fluffy pitas. It was by far the best hummus I've ever had.


Shawarmas!

I have to admit that I've been getting excited for Jerusalem shawarmas all summer, and they do not disappoint! This one tasted quite similar to the ones you can get at Eau Claire. Eating it made me a little bit homesick, which is sort of strange since it is a middle eastern food. It's going to be hard for me not to spend all my money on these suckers.


French toast breakfast

I've been trying to resist the french toast, but somehow these delicious treats end up on my plate every morning. It's basically just deep fried bread, but boy does deep fried bread taste delicious. If I come back with a softer stomach than you remember, you can blame these little guys.


Heart of palm and pomegranates

Pomegranates taste a lot better than pomegranate juice, and heart of palm has always been a favorite of mine. I think I've had this exact same salad for both lunch and dinner for the last two weeks, and I'm still not sick of it.

5 comments:

  1. You are making me hungry. Shawarma attack! I thought pomegranite juice would be good. I think that's what they make grenadine syrup out of. I guess you have to add sugar to it to make it taste better. I heard you skyped this morning. Sounds like you're having a great time:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha ha!! I sure do recognize those plates of food, especially the french toast. I ate it all the time, too! Just remember, don't try carrot juice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. bummer about the pomegranate juice, i really was looking forward to hearing about that. Also, I don't know what a shawarma is, but it looks delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steph! I love reading your blog! Meredith, in your pomegrante juice picture, was in my ward last year! Tell her hi for me. We had a guatemala reunion last night and missed you! I'm so glad you're there and can't wait to experience it myself in winter! Mucho amor mi amiga!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Steph I just want to say that this post made me laugh a lot a long time ago when i read it because about 80% of the pictures i have of you in guatemala--it's with a piece of food about to enter you mouth!

    ReplyDelete