Friday, May 8, 2009

Stephanie's Email

Stephanie emailed our family. This is what it said:

hey everyone, just wanted to let you know that I am alive and well! Also, this keyboard is kind of weird so sorry if some weird symbols pop up every once in a while. Anyway, I love it here already! last night me and one other girl got in before the rest of the group. My countr directors were waiting for us, but then we had to wait for everyone else to get there 2 hours later. Luckily for me however, the girl who I came with is half Guatemalan and her dad set up for one of their really good family friends to meet her at the airport and give her a phone and stuff. Turns out the girl forgot to pack sheets so he offered to lend some to her. Because i was there, I got to go with them to his house and drive around the city! It was so cool! the guy works for the government or something and her dad told her that he´s the only person she should trust. His house was incredible. It was on top of this mountain thing that had a perfect view of the city. The house itself was gorgeous. On the way back to the airport he made sure to drive past the temple so we also got to see that! The house we´re in is pretty cool...ish. The kids here are adorable, like kids always are. I´m getting really excited to start on the projects, but for the next day or two we´re mostly just getting aquainted with the area and with each other. There´s 12 of us here for the first wave--two guys and ten girls. The girls are split into three bedrooms on the top floor and the guys are on the main or bottom floor. We´re supposed to have two bathrooms on the top, but a couple of days ago one flooded so we only have one. It´s connected to the bedroom I´m sleeping in, which is kind of unfortunate because at night it took forever for everyone to get through. The beds are very uncomfortable. It´s like sleeping on a bunch of wooden boards with an inch of padding on top of it. My hip was digging into one of the beams last night, which was not very comfortable. I think I might buy a blanket here too because it actually gets a little chilly at night. Also, a pillow, because there aren´t any in the house. Anyway, I should probably go. We´re in an internet cafe and I´m at the tail end of people to use the computers and I don´t want to make them wait. So yeah, that´s what´s going on! Hope you´re all doing well, and I´ll try to email again soon!

Love, Steph

No comments:

Post a Comment